Ben
1996 - 2008

Our family lost a good friend on Monday; our yellow lab Ben. He was a very loving and lively creature all throughout his dog life.

Though I have not lived at home in nearly 8 years, I still loved him very much and he will be greatly missed. I have so many nice memories of him, from puppyhood up through this past Saturday when I last saw him. I spotted him in the shade of my parents backyard, though I knew he wasn't feeling well, he was gently cleaning his paws and lapping up water from his bowl.

I found this poem online and wanted to share it here, for anyone who might have lost their pet recently. May you find comfort.


Don't Cry For Me When I'm Gone.

Three score and ten are given to man,
But ours is a much briefer span.
So, though I give you all my heart,
The time will come when we must part.
But all around you, you will see,
Creatures that speak to you of me;
A tired horse, a hunted thing,
A sparrow with a broken wing ...
Pity - and help (I know you will)
And somehow, I will be with you still;
And I shall know, although I'm gone,
The love I gave you lingers on.
--- (Author unknown) ---



(a scanned photo to follow).

3 comments:

Dad said...

:(

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see a photo of little Benny.

He will be missed. Lovely poem. Thank you for sharing.

Mom said...

What a beautiful poem Jenni...Thank you for sharing..He did give us a lot of love.